11 January 2010

sew your own baby burp cloths


With only 4 weeks to go until baby number 2 arrives (!!!!), I have been in full nesting mode. This has included borrowing my mum's sewing machine and attempting to sew for the first time in 15 years! Having loved sewing at school, I have felt inspired by my many crafty friends and fellow bloggers to take up the activity again.

My first project was making sheets for my toddler's new room - a simple exercise which allowed me to practice simple straight stitch and hemming. I am now onto baby burp cloths - another fairly simple project that I found at chikaustin's beautiful blog. You can find the tutorial here.

I bought a pack of 12 "softies" cloth nappies at Target and some fat flats from Spotlight for the decorative fabric. I'm not sure I'd go the fat flats option if I were to repeat this project, as they were not wide enough for the nappies - this meant I had to cut the nappies smaller and then hem them again, which was more work than I'd anticipated when I started this project. Next time I think I'll just get fabric cut for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment