08 January 2010

friday focus - the white shed


Regional South Australia has a number of must-visit homewares stores (think Balhannah By Design), and now, thanks to mother-of-two Letitia Linke, the Yorke Peninsula can boast its own homewares store to rival anything on offer in Adelaide. The White Shed, located on the Linke's farm just outside of Maitland, is a homewares and gift store which offers an Interior Design consultancy service. I caught up with Letitia to find out more about her new venture, which will officially open on 5 February.

Why did you launch this business and how did you get started?
I have always had a huge interest in beautiful homes and interiors and decided that I would like to do what I love. I undertook an Interior Design course by correspondence, which involved designing a retail space - that was how The White Shed was born. There are so many amazing homes and beach houses on the Yorke Peninsula, but there was a major lack of stylish, modern homewares available locally.


What items/services do you offer?
The range includes Modern and French inspired cushions, throws, clocks, ceramics, wicker, glass jars, hurricane vases, picture frames, tea towels, placemats, mirrors, baby's bibs, boutique baby singlets, hair clips, jewellery, olive oil, soaps ... just to name a few! I offer colour and decorating consultations which can be for just one room or an entire home. I can also source items for clients to meet their personal requirements. Mail orders are welcome.

How do you manage juggling mum duty with running your business?
I am lucky to have two very low maintenance boys! Ollie is now at Kindy and Tommy in day care on Tuesdays, which is the official day that the store is open. I am also open by appointment, and this works well as other mums can ring up and make a time when I am here with the boys, and they are more than welcome to bring their children with them.

What do you love about living on the Yorke Peninsula?
The beautiful countryside, beaches, easy going lifestyle and the fact that we are so close to Adelaide, yet far enough away! There are great people here too.

Where do you find inspiration?
My inspiration comes from some amazing stores that I have bought from in the past! I have tried to pick all of the best items (in my opinion) I've seen and bring them together in The White Shed.

What is your favourite room to decorate/design?
All rooms ... even a bathroom can be changed dramatically with a few accessories!


What items in a room do you think are splurge-worthy?
Definitely cushions - they can have so much impact. Also, good quality fabrics.

What kind of questions should a potential client ask before hiring a designer?
Ask to look at some photos of their previous work. The most important thing for a designer to do is capture the client’s likes and style, rather than force their own style on them.

Lot 805, Clinton Road
Maitland SA 5573
08 8832 2936 / 0439 532 836

No comments:

Post a Comment