05 January 2010

product of the week - play kitchens

I have to confess to a "thing" for play kitchens - I think it harks back to cooking up weird and wonderful concoctions in my cubby house utilising Mum's herbs and spices, flour and water.

However, finding a decent one amongst the offerings can be difficult. I was adament that I would avoid anything too plasticky or garish, and thankfully there are some companies out there who have taken the initiative and produced play kitchens with sleek, modern lines whilst avoiding cartoon characters.

Here are my two current favourites:

Ikea Duktig play kitchen (part of the Duktig range)

I love the Scandinavian simplicity of this kitchen, and my son loves the stove top that lights up at the touch of a button! The microwave and top unit are an add-on that need to be purchased separately.

The Duktig play kitchen is not currently featured on Ikea's website, but is available in-store (I purchased one about a month ago). You may wish to call the store to check availability and avoid disappointment, as they are selling like hot-cakes. I had to wait for a new shipment before making the treck down to Adelaide Airport (Ikea do not take personal orders).

$139 without add on
$60 for add on


Plan Toys Kitchen Centre

My eco-friendly choice, this kitchen is two-sided, with one side featuring a cooking centre, and the other a washing up space. Featuring an oven, sink and dishwasher, the entire set is made from  recycled rubberwood.

It can be difficult to find Play Toys in-store in Adelaide, but there are plenty of online retailers that stock the Kitchen Centre (just Google Plan Toys Kitchen Centre for results).

This kitchen retails for around $400.

No comments:

Post a Comment