04 December 2009

friday focus - all the king's horses


I am constantly in awe of my talented friends who combine motherhood with running a small business. Today's Friday Focus features All The King's Horses, a locally handmade toy business created by an Adelaide mum who was inspired to offer unique toys that can be passed down through generations of children. I caught up with owner (and avid sewer), Lysia May-Jamieson, to discuss her business.

Why did you launch All The King's Horses and how did you get started?
For as long as I can remember I’ve wanted to make toys. As a mother in a world filled with mass produced imported toys, I found it difficult to find timeless, keepsake toys, that were lovingly created with the intent to be passed down through generations.

My passion for sewing, second-hand toys and books and vintage clothes, coupled with exposure to costumes and design during several years of performing in the arts throughout Australia, provided me with the inspiration to establish "All The King's Horses”.

I started sewing on Good Friday this year, when my mother gave me her old sewing machine and I was desperate to have a sense of achievement which did not involve my toddler, nor how many Haighs I had just eaten!

What products do you offer?
Currently I offer a range of ‘softies', using fabric from Kristen Doran and Aunty Cookie. My dolls include Rag dolls, Sassilu dolls, and themed dolls such as cowboys, clowns, pirates, fairies, Liberty fabric dolls, and robots. I'm expanding my range soon to offer Milly and Molly dolls whose 1950’s faces are so striking you can’t help but stop and look at them. Soft animals are also a work in progress with dogs, cats, pandas, owls and birds currently available.

Where can we buy All The King’s Horses products?
Out of The Cot on Magill Road currently stocks the Rag dolls, Sassilu dolls, owls and dogs.

Dulwitches, the gorgeous craft haven and co-op in Linden Park, stocks not only dolls and animals, but also crowns, building blocks, drummer boys and Matroyshkas, and boy and girl door stops. The new Milly and Molly dolls will also be stocked there in the near future.

I also have my products for sale on my blog thekingshorses.blog.com.

What is your favourite item from your range?
My favourite item would have to be the crowns. Any reason not to have to wear one of those paper ones on Christmas day is a winner in my eyes!

Where do you find inspiration?
Just to name a few sources ... vintage toys, second hand books, vintage fabric (don’t you just love the smell of second hand books and vintage fabrics??) costumes, ballets, paintings, craft blogs, Cath Kidston, Rosalie Quinlan, Meet me at Mike’s, Purl Bee, Dick and Dora, Belle and Boo, Loobylu, Martha Stewart, magazines and, of course, my mum!

And finally, how do you manage juggling mum duty with running a small business and sewing such a wide range of products?
Badly! Thankfully I have a very supportive husband and a wonderful nanny, so I have two full days to sew. I try not to do any projects during the day when I am with my son, only once he has gone to bed. It is quite amazing how much you can accomplish at 3am!!

All The King's Horses
Lysia May-Jamieson
Ph 0411 115 960
thekingshorses.blog.com

Out of The Cot
322 Magill Road, Magill
Ph 8431 5501

Dulwitches
97 Devereux Road, Linden Park
Ph 8379 1664

No comments:

Post a Comment